Saturday, January 27, 2007

Revolver

Happy Australia Day. Went to this last night and ended up having a pretty fun time of it; Revolver's quite a cool joint, so cool in fact they don't even have a sign outside - asked a large bouncerish type if he knew where it was, he said 'Yes', long silence; asked where in fact it was, he said 'Here but I'll need some ID' in the clear belief that as an obvious 14-year-old I wouldn't have any, not knowing (ha!) that I had in fact taken the precaution of bringing my passport along for that very eventuality. Nerd 1 Security 0.
Inside, it's not massively different in decor or ambience from many a popular hang-out that someone's put a bit of thought into, but what sets it apart is that they've crammed pretty much everything you'd want into the one place. Big lounge with comfy sofas, armchairs, bar and DJ for drinking, smoking, dancing, pashing? Check. Pool and pinball? Check. Thai restaurant? But of course. Band room? Spiffing. Perhaps most impressive of all, it's open 24 hours a day over the whole weekend, every weekend. There you go Kate, your Melburnians were right. Ended up having my hand shaken and a tequila placed in it by a bassist from a local band, Ryan, nice guy; night was concluded chilling out at his mate's place down the road, most congenial.
Other than that it's been a relatively quiet week spent doing all the boring stuff: trying to sort out accommodation for when I get back from NZ (after a few bits of advice from people I'm fairly set on staying here for at least a month or 2), getting an Australian bank account, tax number (so I don't get quite as shafted by their Inland Revenue as I would otherwise - just the 29% rather than 47%, nnngh!), getting a CV done. All change soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurrah! Who would have thought that a hungover 7 hours in a pub off brick lane, London, could so benefit 24 hours of fun for you in Melbourne! Glad you enjoyed it. You'll have to take me there! Plan to be in Melbourn sometime in mid july I think. Will you still be there?

3:37 PM  
Blogger Pearson said...

It's safe to say you'd love the place: we could have some cool nights there. I've just sorted out accommodation until at least the beginning of May and so long as I can get some half-decently paying job or jobs after I get back from NZ I don't see why it shouldn't be longer than that. My flight back to Blighty's booked for July at the moment and I'd much rather spend the admin fee on postponing it than bringing it forward.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home