Sunday, January 21, 2007

What to do?

Not too much to report since the last post: the play was very funny, made some good points about sex, marriage, politics and relationships and you didn't have to know too many 1960s Australian politicians to get the jokes. Friday evening was spent getting bladdered with the cousin and various of her workmates while (in the latter part of the evening) trying drunkenly to perv at the mayor's daughter without being noticed. And failing. No bodyguard attention though fortunately, she seemed the forgiving type.
Under two weeks to go until New Zealand and I'm still too pants to have actually planned anything, or even got the (de rigeur) Lonely Planet book yet. A few days in Wellington, get down to Christchurch, umm... Queenstown? Dunedin? Any other place on the map that's written in capitals? Well, I've got a month there so should hopefully be able to cobble together some sort of itinerary even if I'm being lame.
After that, there's a bit of a quandary. Basically, I can't decide whether to try and get a job in Melbourne or somewhere else. Other relatives are arriving to stay with my uncle and his family so wherever I stay I'm gonna be paying for my own accommodation, so that's no longer a factor. A potentially major plus for staying put is the possible arrival of Aor here in April (there's apparently an '80 percent' chance she'll get a work placement via her tutor's company), as well as the fact that from what I've seen of the place so far Melbourne's a pretty ace place to live, and the average rent in a flatshare is a lot less than I was paying for a shoebox in Leeds. On the other hand, even if Aor does make it here there's no guarantee that we could just take up where we left off, and even if we did, time once again would be against us. I've no burning desire to visit Darwin, or Broome, or Cairns, but people tell me they're gorgeous; Perth's a billion miles from anywhere, but apparently it's easy to get a job there; I could do what quite a few others do and follow the fruit-picking trail round the country, but it's basically slave labour. And so on. Decisions, decisions: my least favourite game. Toss a coin? Roll dice? Could give the blog an interesting new flavour. Watch this space.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get a job in Melbourne and go to Revolver Upstairs on an Sunday morning, supposed to be fantastic. The entire population of Melbourne seem to be in London and telling me how great it is and (from a selfish point of view) I want someone to play with when I'm there!
Does that help?!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Pearson said...

Hmm,looks cool ta for the tip! Crikey it's 24-hour all weekend, this lot know how to cane it... When are you planning to be in Melbourne? After Sydney presumably?

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home