Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Hip Dead

So... sorry to disappoint one or two of you but no, I'm not going to the Full Moon party - various reservations, by far the most important of which being my near-certainty of failing to survive it. Also, if I'm going to get to Cambodia with a decent amount of time to have a look round I need to get moving asap. Sorry to be a bore, but do spare a thought for the fortunate ravers spared the spectacle of my (probably topless) mincing.
Ko Phangan passed in a bit of a blur, caused by circumstances on which for now I couldn't possibly comment. I shall divulge more on my return, although you would be right in thinking they have something to do with the Full Moon decision...
Am now on Ko Samui, where I've been since yesterday. Just a flying visit, off back to Bangkok x 3 tomorrow and on to Cambodia the day after, about a week and a half later than originally intended. It's cool here, despite the fairly crappy weather - visited Na Muang waterfall today: a knackering climb through pretty thick forest, redeemed by the pleasant surprise of a natural rock pool you could swim in near the top. Down the road to afterwards to Wat Khunaram, to see a truly bizarre feature in the shape of the ashen corpse of an ex-abbott of the monastery who died in 1973 and whose body miraculously failed to decay, sporting what looked like a quite snazz pair of shades. Anyone else reminded of the Rolling Stones? Pics up in the next day or 2.
Just surrendered to instinct and went for an Indian, for shame etc. The slight culture guilt was more than offset by the excellence of the curry (Dopiaza if you're interested; some may comment on my lack of originality - I concede the point, madam). Might see if I can follow that up with a pancake and icecream combo: I've lost half a stone since coming here, I'm allowed! BEEFCAKE.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No full mooning? Well maybe I'll keep the family side up and do some full mooning when I get there...

Loving your photos btw, you are looking very dashing darlin! Travelling suits you.

I was pole dancing in Birmingham this weekend... can't really compare can it although it is a little random. Never been to Brumers before!

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you possibly have found a spare half stone to lose?! Thought you were planning on fattening yourself up in advance just in case? Get thee to a curry house, quickly!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Pearson said...

I'm glad to see my readers know the right comments to post! You're both too kind - in answer to your query, Laura, fear not: the half-stone I've lost is the same one I put on before I came (I told everyone those curries were tactical), so I'm not about to collapse from starvation anytime soon.
Kate, explain! (More perhaps the Brummie aspect than the pole dancing, the latter's less surprising)

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats a full moon party? Sounds like fun... why did you miss it?

I'm confused...

How do I get to see your photos?

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... does hen weekend sum it up? Emma's getting hitched in Dec.

So where are you going to 1st in Cambodia? I'm thinking of spending a month volunteering in Phnom Penh so am keen to hear your feedback.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Pearson said...

A Full Moon Party is held every month on Hat Rin beach on Ko Phangan, when the moon is... ah, no, actually they now have to have it a day early or late cos the proper full moon has religious significance and people complained. Bars down the beach all have their sound systems going, playing techno, trance, psytrance (sp?), hip-hop I imagine, lots of Ozzies and Euros going a bit 'mad' on the beach with lots of chemical assistance... I'm sure it's fantastic in some ways but to be honest I could get most of that at home (and stuff which hardly any locals attend puts me off a bit). And I'd drown. So.

Photos here:
http://www.ringo.com/explore/member.html?memberId=127201764
In future if you want to find my page, go to Ringo and type in my email address (the Gmail one) in the 'Find a Friend' box. Easy.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had dopiaza! God how BORING

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went, it's fun but it's nothing you can't do here in a club. Ravers near the sea, who's idea was that?? Anyway, my point is that i'm sure you've done enough clubbing in your life to not be missing much. When do you head to Cambodia?

4:23 PM  
Blogger Pearson said...

Good to know I wasn't totally mistaken :o)

I know the curry was a bit boring but so goooood.... that said, the food so far in Cambodia's been really nice so I can probably stave off the Indian temptations until Oz. Maybe.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home