Friday, February 09, 2007

Sleeping with Roy Walker

Kia Ora. Not just a classic drink, but (how cheesey am I?) 'Welcome' in Maori, it says here. In Kaikura, on the eastern coast (I've decided to restrict my time to the South Island rather than go for broke and only have half an hour in each town), popular spot for scenery and wildlife. Of the latter, I've seen 2 sperm whales, about 100 dolphins, seals and an albatross. Of the latter, the Kaikura Ranges (massive hill/mountain backdrop to the town) have provided one of the most stunning views I've ever seen, ever. Ever. Even better when seen from the ocean with a bunch of dolphins doing backflips and generally pissing about in front of it, just cos it's fun and they can.
Rest of the time in Wellington was a blast, and often blasted - seemed to spend the majority of my waking hours with a drink either in hand or on order. Splendid. A particular highlight was the afternoon spent swimming and Pimmsing at the High Commissioner's residence (friends in high places dahling - cheers Laura you're a doll!), even if it did give me a touch of guilt at the sheer un-backpackerishness of it. For about a nanosecond.
Spent a night in Blenheim, capital of wine country, on the way here, but after the previous week's excesses thought I'd better control myself - that, and I'd have had to cycle back from the winery after the tasting: suicide! Did have a nice glass of Pinot Noir in the evening to make up for it though. Oh, and if you're wondering, Roy was in the same dorm as me. Magic.
Probably on to Christchurch tomorrow, unless I stay on to swim with dolphins - too many pamphlets! Too many decisions!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you slept with the bloke from catch phrase? well gotta pay for your ticket home some how.

Nice to see you learned something from thailand! Broaden your horizons and all that. :)

Glad to hear yo ur well and having fun!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Pearson said...

When it's a living legend you've just got to take the plunge haven't you?

11:12 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Something like that... I'll be hot on your heals soon pearson!

(how do you add a title to your posts I couldn't do it!)

xxx

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home